10 Benefits of Epoxy Flooring in Boulder
Floors are usually something to which we don’t pay much attention unless something is wrong with them and yet they are an essential part of workday productivity and safety. You may want to consider an alternative flooring option for your facility and its potential impact. One of these options is epoxy floor coating.
Epoxy is a material that acts as a sealant for concrete floors. Epoxy coatings can be used on floors for commercial buildings, walkways, even on walls or ceilings at times, and most commonly on garage floors. Many facilities that have already experienced the benefits of epoxy flooring are commercial or industrial buildings such as manufacturing plants, warehouses, pharmaceutical buildings, food or beverage plants, even laboratories. Here are the major benefits of installing epoxy coating in your building:
- Durability: Concrete floors coated in epoxy last longer and resist considerable wear, thus saving you money and allowing you to manage other business concerns.
- Strength: Once the epoxy has been converted to a solid polymer, it becomes incredibly strong and prevents chemical breakdown.
- Saves time: Epoxy flooring is usually quickly and easily installed, which means less time shutting down production for installation.
- Low maintenance cleaning: Once concrete has the epoxy coating, it is no longer porous since sealed and is therefore easier to clean.
- Aesthetic: Coatings are usually available in an array of colors and patterns to fit your specific style.
- Chemically resistant: Epoxy coatings can survive continued exposure to potent chemicals, which is perfect for warehouses or plants that may be exposed to such materials.
- Safety: These coatings are also resistant to slippage, temperature, extreme impact and even fire, maintaining both the safety of your employees and your building.
- Brightness: Typically, a high gloss option for coatings can be provided, which improves lighting in your facility to a significant degree due to reflection.
- Lowers vehicle maintenance: Choosing an epoxy coating can also reduce wear on vehicles in your facility because it is more forgiving on machinery.
- Helps the environment: Lastly, epoxy coatings are a green option for your business because of the reduction in material usage. It is a great alternative to adding on a completely new floor or replacing vehicles due to damage.
Epoxy floor coatings are commonly used for commercial and industrial flooring. Epoxy coatings are normally applied over concrete floors to provide a high-performance, smooth, and durable surface that can last many years and withstand heavy loads. Many industrial sites, warehouses, and commercial buildings rely on epoxy floors to maintain clean and safe conditions for workers, equipment, and inventory.
Epoxy Floor Coating Preparation
An epoxy coating requires a clean and slightly porous surface to adhere properly. Epoxy may not bond to sealed or polished concrete. The concrete also must be fully cured. Before apply epoxy floor coating, it is important to patch and repair all major cracks and chips in the concrete surface and to remove all grease.
If the concrete is old, test the surface for previous layers of epoxy or other products that might have been applied over the years. To test for sealant, pour a small amount of water onto the floor. It should soak in. If the water beads on the surface rather than soaking in, it likely has been sealed and may not be suitable for an epoxy coating.
Before applying an epoxy coating, make sure that the temperature is suitable, and follow all manufacturer’s recommendations. Unfavorable temperatures can cause the epoxy to bubble and peel. Epoxy is a two-part liquid that you mix before application. Once the product is mixed, you have a limited time to apply the epoxy coating before it starts to harden.
Epoxy Primer Formulas
Depending on the product being applied, you might need to apply an epoxy primer and finisher coat. The primer is applied just like paint and is allowed to settle for several hours before the epoxy goes on. To apply the primer, cover the floor with a thin layer of water, then spread the primer with a roller pin on a pole, spreading it out in a thin layer over the entire floor. Let the primer dry, then apply a second coat. The finisher is applied in the same manner as the primer but without the water layer.
Epoxy Floor Coating Advantages
Epoxy floor coatings offer many advantages when compared to other traditional coatings applied over concrete:
Creates a shiny high-gloss surface that can significantly increase the brightness of interior areas
Offers a hard-wearing durable surface able to withstand heavy and continuous traffic
Quick and easy to install, requiring no layout, cutting additional adhesives, or special tools or equipment
Durable and easy to clean
Ideal for warehouses and industrial applications
Resists oil stains and water
Creates a seamless surface that can last many years
Can be combined with paints and colors to mask off chips and cracks
Provides a chemically resistant surface ideal for manufacturing plants
Offers enhanced safety when the surface contains anti-slip additives
Can be applied in different patterns to create visible driveways and/or identify walkable areas
Prevents wear and tear on existing concrete floors
May be compatible with self-leveling products that can be applied over new or old concrete, depending on the product
Requires little or no major maintenance
10 Benefits of Epoxy Flooring in Boulder